Step 1: Create a table that you want to create a calculated field in.
We will be creating a calculated field that will give us the total price of the items sold.
Step 2: Create the new field
- Select the “Field” tab from the top menu
- Click the arrow next to “More Fields” to view the drop-down
- Hover over Calculated Field and choose the data type you would like to use. In this example, choose currency.
- The Expression Builder panel opens with a list of our fields under the “Expression Categories” area
- Double click on UnitsSold and PricePerUnit
- UnitsSold and PricePerUnit appear in the Expression Builder panel
- Highlight the <<Expr>> text and choose the “*” operator to replace the text. Click on “Operators” in Expression Elements, then double click “*”
- Click “OK”
The Calculated Field is added to our table with column name “Field1”. Rename the column to “TotalPrice”.
Step 3: Create the Total Row
- Select the “Home” tab in the top menu
- Click the “Totals” command
- This will add a “Total” row to your table
- Choose the column you want to create the “totals” row for and select the very last cell. A dropdown arrow appears. Select the function you would like to perform on the column. In this example, choose “Sum”
- Your final total appears in this field